Hot and Heavy

I’m involved in a love/hate relationship of sorts.  It really shouldn’t be this way, since we’ve spent a lot of time together over the years.  Part of the appeal of blogging is that it’s free therapy, and I need to get this off my chest.

It’s my hair.

No, there isn’t any on my chest.  Not that I’ve noticed anyway, but maybe I should look.

But I have A LOT of hair on my head.  Summertime is when I realize HOW MUCH I really have.  It’s like a warm, fuzzy blanket that I wear around my neck and halfway down my back.  I hate how it looks when I put it up, so I don’t do that often.  Until the temps hit 100 degrees or higher (today was our first 100+ day, hence the blog post).  I guess the hair looks fine up; it just draws more attention to my face.  Ugh.

Cut it short you say?  Not a chance.  The last time my hair was short was during a dark period of the 1970’s, when my mom took me to get a cute shag.  I would post a picture of it, but the only thing worse than the shag was the clothing I wore in the 70’s.  Nobody needs to see that.

See, my mom was a very smart woman.  She told me I needed to take good care of my dreadlocks hair, since I was old enough to brush and wash it on my own.  I’m sure I listened on some kid level, and that was the extent of it.  Until I got the knot.  THE KNOT at the nape of my neck that birds attempted to lay eggs in.  It was rumored that lost socks were in there somewhere.  Women with knitting needles started eyeing it, picturing the fuzzy scarf they could knit with it.  THE KNOT that no comb could conquer.  Tears, cream rinse, No More Tangles spray….nothing would work.  So, we went to get the cute shag.

That was the last time I had short hair.  Well, that short anyway.

Over the years after that, I had a plethora of hairstyles.  Farrah Fawcett feathers in high school, bangs (grown out and cut again many times over), side parts, center parts, and spiral perms.  My dark brown hair would get a golden tint each summer from time spent in the sun and in the pool.  Not thinking that was enough, I had an unfortunate incident with Super Sun-In right before college, which turned my hair a rancid shade of orange.  I looked like a popsicle.

The orange hair took several years to grow out, during which time my hair did get shorter….just to get rid of the orange.  The last bit of faded orange was trimmed away weeks before my wedding (whew!).

Now my head is being invaded by the nasty grays.  Tons of them.  They have already been invading for years; now they have called for reinforcements.  After several calculations using algebra in front of the bathroom mirror the other day, I am convinced that the brown hairs may be the new minority.

So I color the grays a shade not far off from the summer color I used to get naturally, for free.  Only it’s not so free now, and I have to go every 6 – 8 weeks to keep from looking like I should be riding a broom instead of driving a Honda.  I will keep doing it until the grays no longer accept any color they don’t like.  I’m hoping this isn’t until I am well into my 80’s.

So between the hot neck and the salon bills, I’m feeling a bit at the mercy of my hair and our tenuous relationship these days.  Not complaining, just taking advantage of the free therapy.

Makes orange not look so bad.  Maybe something in a cute shag.

header 150x150

Plethora is the Word of the Week for Word Up, YO!  Click on the button above to check it out!

Comments

After having kids, I have approximately 1/3 of the hair I used to have. I wish i had all mine back; it's so much thinner now.

Cherish yours! – Hot or not!

2. I didn't get the memo the day they handed out a chest so I miss out,but I sure made the 'hair' day. My straw, as I lovingly call it,is a plenty.And like you a source of aggravation BUT I will pick that over boobs that will eventually frame a bellybutton. ha ha

have a good one.
    Jamie

3. Claudia says:

I tried different things with my hair as well – a plethora of possibilities – but finally I decided to cut it VERY short – and love it :=)

4. The redhead says:

I used to have thick luscioius hair. Now it's just a silly version of it's former glory. It is a lot quicker to style now though. I, however, am a firm beleiver in a short hair-do. My hair hasn't been past my shoulders in years.

5. The redhead says:

I'm cringing right now at how I spelled believer. Just so you know. I am NOT that person. It's been a rough day, obviously.

My hair has always been very fine and I so wish I had the thick, glossy mane that all models in shampoo adverts display. I am getting gray too, so far just a few that I can pull out but the onslaught has begun. But I did decide to go orange this year, at my daughter's suggestion and am loving it 🙂

7. Sarah Garb says:

Well, you've certainly tried lots of different options! I always feel so conflicted at the salon–to do something decent costs a pretty penny, but letting my hair go for a while always sends me running back, willing to pay whatever! Just enjoy the salon and don't look at the bill!

8. Funky Mama Bird says:

I have a lot of hair,too. One could even say I have a plethora of individual hairs on my head! I got short all the time, then grow it out, go short again. I can never be satisfied!

9. Yay, yay, YAY for joining in! This was a very FUN use of the word. It's making me think of "yearbook yourself" with all the hairstyles you mentioned!

I remember sun-in. My hair is darker and it never went blonde, only brought out more red, which I kinda liked.

I have a love-hate relationship, too. I grew it long so I could tie it up, but then I got sick of it and chopped it off. Now I want to grow it again!

10. Ha! You threw plethora right in there and it fit perfectly!! Thanks for joining in and linking up!

Sun In – I forgot about that stuff! I used it like it was going out of style.

I'm one of those people that cut my hair, and then I regret it, grow it back, and cut it again. It's a vicious cycle and I swear this time (like every other time!) I will not cut it again!!

11. Laura @ The Things I Said I'd Never Do says:

I have a TON of hair too! Locks of Love was extra happy to get my donation. I have started to find grays, courtesy of motherhood. I'm not at the coloring point yet, but any more and I'll start shelling out some clams to my stylist. And in the summer, it's ponytails. Nothing but ponytails.

12. Sniffles and Smiles says:

It can be a pain…but it sure beats not having any…:-) Fun, fun post! You've got a great sense of humor! ~Janine XO

13. Ha ha! The "knot" love it! I get that too as my hair is super curly! Sadly, I also have the grays, but thank Gaaawd for color!! Loved your post!

14. I used Sun In once, and, though I don't have anywhere near the horrible experience you had, it wasn't too pretty. Love this post about your hair – so funny! And I've enjoyed seeing you on my blog. I'm a new follower of yours!

This reminds me of my own sun-in experience in college. Jet black Asian hair with sun-in… suffice to say, not a good mixture.

I've been finding more white hairs lately. I think it's my 'do, wreaking revenge on me for what I did to it in my earlier days.

16. Ms. Understood says:

I've been getting gray hairs since I was 24, maybe even before then. I'm 30 now. Then are becoming so much more aggressive in number. I believe they've called in reinforcements already. I hope the temperature drops so you can at least be physically comfortable while the grays invade. Great use of the WOW.

17. The Mayor! says:

I'm with ya, I too have a plethora of grey hairs attempting a hostile take over….I refuse to let them take me alive dammit! And cutting it short?? Hells NO, that will just add to the "look at me getting old" look! LOL!

😀

18. I totally get you! My hair is the same — the envy of many a thin-haired woman and the source of many compliments for me. . BUT, it is so freaking HOT. . . like wearing a wool hat. All. the. Time. Mine is in a short bob, but it doesn't really help much.

Ah!
    Dana

19. Pumpkin and Piglet says:

I have a blanket for hair too and it gets so hot! I think about cutting it but usually chicken out, short hair tends to make it look like I have a beach ball for a head! Great use of the WOW!

20. Cori Benson says:

gotta love the plethora of hair styles…that's what makes us memorable isn't it!! LOL! Great use of the WOW!

21. Teachingeasyas123 says:

I had cut my hair short in November and missed my long hair….but you know what I missed most? My long pony tail! lol

Now I am in the process of growing it long again….

Cute post! I enjoyed reading it. 🙂

Robin@ teachingeasyas123.com

22. I have long hair too and will not cut it! I keep asking my hubby if I'm getting too old to have it long and he says no and he is the only one's opinion that I care about! I wear my up about 90% of the time because it gets on my nerves so I might as well just cut it short….NOT! lol…

Thanks for visiting today and for your comments! I needed to hear that!!

I wanted to invite you to join the Over 40 Bloggers!! Take a look and join in the fun!

I'm a new follower! Please follow me back if you haven’t done so already!!

Be sure to come by every Friday for the Follow Friday 40 and Over Blog Hop!

Have a great day!!

Java

23. Sun In! Why do they even sell that stuff. No good can come of it, I tell you. No good.

Trackbacks

1. […] hair I have a lot of hair, and I’ve been admonished that I keep it rather long for a woman nearing 50 of my age. One […]