Summer Daze

It’s been two weeks since school let out, which means summer is in full swing around here!  So far, I have been making a conscious effort to be lazy relax and enjoy the slower pace.  My family still seems to wind up with clean clothes, a spotless clean-enough house, and a somewhat homemade meal on the table sometime after 6pm.  I guess what I’m trying to say is that chaos hasn’t broken out.  Yet.

I am trying to be more mindful this summer, to enjoy things as they come and not always be thinking of the next thing that needs to be done.  Or what hasn’t been done from yesterday.  Or whether or not I should consider Botox.  Or that we are one year away from paying for college.  Or global warming.

Really, I think it’s working.

So in honor of being mindful and relaxed, I want to share a few things I have learned so far this summer:

• Puppies do NOT automatically calm down when they turn 1 year old.  That must have been in the fine print.
  • The “gradual tanning” lotion and my skin have decided that they will NOT cooperate with each other.  I keep trying, but the lotion still smells bad and my skin stays pasty white.
  • If I flex my arms muscles in just the right way, I can still wave and/or clap in a sleeveless top without arm jiggle.
  • If you offer a teenager a cup of coffee, he will take it.  And add tons of sugar.  Then he wants a cup the following morning.  A few mornings after that, he will not only pour HIS cup, but he will attempt to put YOUR cup into a travel mug and take it with him.  It’s like that Mouse and that Cookie….except for the fact that Mommy needs her coffee, and that boy was willing to share his cookies.
  • If you go shopping in the first week or two of summer, you will run into many, many teachers and other school employees.  It’s like we are on parole for good behavior, let out of the cage, set free.
  • If you are enjoying lunch with friends and the waiter keeps bringing you endless iced tea refills, do NOT pass up an opportunity to use the restroom before leaving the restaurant.  It’s a long ride home.  A long, uncomfortable ride.
  • Contrary to what I previously believed, the earth does not stop spinning if I leave the house with wet, uncurled hair.  Actually, nobody seems to notice or care.
  • I still don’t like leaving the house with wet, uncurled hair.
  • Guacamole and chips make a wonderful lunch.  Just don’t tell my kids.
  • I really enjoy spending time with my kids.  Really.

What little bits of wisdom have you learned so far this summer?

Comments

1. Susie Kline says:

Guacamole and chips is my current lunch favorite!

I still haven't learned anything this summer. Unless you count, check the practice schedule several times before acting on anything.

2. Sarah Garb says:

Somehow I manage to learn this and then forget it and then re-learn it every summer: I will NOT magically feel more like filing away the lesson plans and lesson materials cluttering my apartment over the summer than I did during the school year….

Great post! Love all your pearls of wisdom. So far this summer I have learnt that three year olds have an affinity for the pool and that every single day is a must. But also that going in the pool every single day is not good for my hair or skin šŸ™‚

4. What a great post! Our puppy just turned one and he's still as rambunctious as ever! I've learned that it's still not any easier to exercise during the summer "when I have time" šŸ™‚

5. Love it! I've learned that one can never have too many popsicles, that a late night out with friends makes for a really long summer morning with 2 little boys and that that keeping up with the house is just fantasy at this point.

6. Gretchen Seefried says:

Love your relaxed blog-always good to hear other gals working hard at finding the balance that eludes every woman I know!

7. So that's why the mall is so crowded — it's all those teachers! Thanks for the follow. I really enjoyed reading your blog and will be following you now too! Hope you continue to enjoy your summer (and save some guac & chips for me!) — Dawn

8. Nancy Jacobs Basketmaster says:

I just found you from Never Growing Old's Over 40 Blog Hop. I'm enjoying visiting your blog.
    Nancy

9. LOL I can relate to many of those! Our last day of school was today…time for summer fun!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and following for Follow Friday 40 and Over. I'm now following you with all 3 of my blogs. šŸ™‚

Tree (aka Mother of Pearl)
    Mother of Pearl It Is
    Mommies Faves Top Sites and Blogs
    Go From Fat To Fab

10. Hi OT.
    Came visiting from Java's Over 40 FF. I really like your humor in your blogs and towards life in general. Will be back to visit some more.
    Love the picture by the way

Jamie

11. Natalie says:

Me and self tanners don't go together either šŸ˜‰

Guac and chips is good anytime during the day!!

12. Sniffles and Smiles says:

Oh, I'm absolutely delighted to meet you!!!I love your blog! So lovely…and what wonderful thoughts you express here!! Great to live "mindfully"–with purpose! I'd like to be like you when I grow up ;-)) Love that our sons have the same hair!! Too fun…Mine's 15…think they might get along…I'm sure you and I will!! Love, Janine XO

13. Just returning the favor and dropping by from the 40 and Over Follow Friday. šŸ™‚ Love your down to Earth way of writing and will definitely be among your newest followers. šŸ™‚

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods this weekend!

14. Drama queens mum (Kimberly) says:

Hi. Love your blog. I'm turning 40 on Monday. eek.

15. Now I want guac! šŸ™‚ That picture is awesome! My mom is a retired teacher, so your point about being set loose made me laugh.

16. Gretchen Seefried says:

I am following you know!! Forgot to do that!
    Come link your blog up on MIdchix!
    Gretchen

17. Ca88andra says:

It's winter here in Australia, so my lessons include staying in the heated house if I don't want to freeze and never hanging the laundry outside cos if I do, its sure to rain!

18. Great post. Love the honesty and the self tanner one made me laugh. I wear it religiously and smell very tropical. Thanks for the comments in my blog. I had never given much thought to where those spiders might lay the eggs. YIKES!! Stop by soon and check out my vlog (aka me makin a huge fool of myself).

19. Oh, and the milk cartons for B-listers is too funny.

20. Thanks girl for checking out the vlog. Not sure I'll be doing it again anytime real soon at least. haha.