Summertime Then and Now

Today I am linking up to Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop over at Mama’s Losin’ It!. I am dedicating this post to my bloggy friend Cori, who is pretty sure I will never link up.

Mama's Losin' It

Prompt #5)  What five images paint a perfect picture of summer to you? Put those five images together in a piece of writing.

Summertime used to mean bicycle rides to the park, leaving early to beat the heat.

• Now it’s teaching him to drive while I grip the door handle and try to control my breathing. I just might take up smoking.

Summer used to mean candy-colored popsicles, dripping down his chin and onto a dinosaur t-shirt.

• Now it’s a 64 ounce Dr. Pepper from the Mini Mart and a Disturbed t-shirt.

He used to be up with the sun in the summertime, ready to start his day with a smile on his face and an Eggo waffle.

• This summer, getting up “early” means before 10am; he’s lethargic, and wants coffee. And an Eggo.

Summer used to mean freedom from homework and teachers!

• This summer, he had homework for 3 classes that was VERY time consuming. Reading Crime and Punishment would have been punishment enough without finding 25 relevant quotes and writing about each one.

Summer used to mean endless free time with him, doing puzzles, going to the library, the water park, and getting together with friends.

• This summer, some of our best free time was spent on a road trip to check out colleges. For next year. When after our summer is over, he will leave.

I have learned to take each summer as it is, to savor the time with my kids and the break in routine. There are no more chubby legs in swim diapers, no more swim lessons at the local pool in the searing heat. The Free Family Movie morning at the local cinema is no longer fun, the park is for babies, and the library reading program is something you volunteer to help with, not participate in.

I watch the mommies pushing their strollers and wiping noses and I miss those days. Some days, more than others.

I absolutely love the people my kids are turning into. People that somehow, through all of my nagging and sometimes feeble attempts at parenting, I have helped shape them into.

But for all of the noses I wiped, all the sunscreen I applied, the hours I spent pushing the stroller, and all of the popsicle stains I vanquished I earned a valuable prize.

The title of Mom.

Comments

1. I can't tell you how much I relate to this! My son is going through all of that now. No more cute, little and innocent boy. Makes me sad, but so very excited for his future.
    Once again, awesome writing! You're so good!

2. Beautiful post girl. Mine aren't teens yet, but I feel them slipping away. And I miss my sweet, chubby toddlers who weren't about peer pressure or fashion trends. Sigh…

3. this is so sweet! but it's totally funny, too. i really laughed hard at the disturbed t-shirt!

Very sweet. And if you ever REALLY miss wiping noses and cleaning popsicle stick stains, I'll send you my address πŸ™‚

5. Way to go lady!!!! Thanks for the dedication, I'm truly honored!! Sadly, I didn't link-up this week lol!! One of these weeks both of us will!!

6. The redhead says:

Somehow you always make me stop and appreciate where I am in my own stage of mommyhood. So thanks Sherri.

7. That is so sweet. Reading it brought tears to my eyes b/c it hit so close to home. With a teenage boy & one right behind him, it dawned on me that this time next year we'll be studying for a Driving Permit.
    I'm not ready. At all.

Love it! I am already missing those stroller days and my daughter is still three πŸ™‚ I guess it never gets any easier, this passage of time and the changes in our children. Beautiful post.

9. What a wonderful post, Sherri πŸ™‚ While I work in a perpetual Peter Pan environment, I still long for the days of toddlerhood. Days filled with blowing bubbles, jumping through sprinklers and sidewalk chalk.

10. Melissa {adventuroo} says:

Beautiful post! You just gave me a glimpse of life in a few years too! The last few paragraphs really sum it up… all those things we do make us "mom." I don't know if they'll ever appreciate it though until they have kids of their own!

11. P.S. I added you to my blog roll today. Doing some updates…

12. Arrghhhh! My life will be that some day! I'm hanging on to the playing in the park and popsicles as long as I can!

At least you still have the Eggos, huh?

I love it when you post things like this because it reminds me that these are the days that I will long for in years to come and remember fondly. It's hard to keep that in mind right now, and I appreciate the nudge in the right direction!

Childhood just goes so fast, doesn't it?! It's a cliche, but so very true.

Truthfully, I don't know how mothers ever let go of their children. I guess because we want the best for our kids. And the best we can give is allowing them live their own lives.

I just never realized it would be this hard.

15. This makes me want to hold my boys so tight! I get so sad at how fast they grow…

16. Cute post!
    I am your newest follower
    Thanks for sharing!

17. Her Momma says:

πŸ™‚ I really enjoyed this- especially the ending. Yay for Mom!

18. The Ninja says:

I love this post and totally found myself thinking back to the then and now. Thank you for that!!:)

19. I'm in the "Then" part of your years of Summer. I loved your take on this topic. And I agree, "Mom" is the best title a woman can earn:-)

20. This is wonderful (and oh-so-very bittersweet)! I'm very much in the then stage right now, but I know it won't be here for long! At least there will always be Eggos. πŸ™‚

This is so sweet. I'm still more in the snotty nose end of it, but I'm planning to desperately cling to these days with all my might!

22. I can totally relate….and I mean totally!!

Great post…very bittersweet!!

Have a great weekend!

23. Awwww…. and how cool that he still loves Eggos :). Seems like having your kids almost be adults sure gives you perspective!

24. Monica Fernaays says:

Hello…Stopping in from Adventroo, so glad I did!
    You had me laughing at the beginning and crying when I finished…what a wonderful post and a some what sad but realistic look at what is to come as my kids get older and get ready to leave me…

I know that of which you speak, too dang well.

26. Polished Portrayal says:

Sherri! This totally broke my heart- I don't know if I can do the whole growing up thing. As difficult as things are, I wish I could just freeze time while they're all difficult and adorable.

Love this post- my fave so far!

27. Oh what a beautiful post! Yes, I know that summer is going to have a different meaning as my little boy grows older too–for now, I'm still going to cherish those library visits, walks in the stroller, and chubby legs in swim diapers. So sweet.

I love reading everyone's posts about summer. This one was so nostalgic and lovely. And…dare I say it…made me appreciate those little chubby legs in swim diapers that I see every day.

Thank you.

29. Awesome post!!

We are on such opposite ends of the spectrum… I love it and I'm so excited to learn from you what lies ahead for me and my kid. πŸ™‚