What Mothers Remember

Her mother died late in the summer before her second-grade year. The cancer had spread quickly; four months was about all she had to say goodbye.

Goodbye to her small daughter and devastated husband.

And in that time of finishing photo albums and tying up loose ends as only a mom can, she forgot to remind her husband of the little things that matter to a girl.

The right hair bow to accent her ponytail. The same charm bracelet that the other girls were wearing.

Donuts on her birthday.

To the casual observer, one who doesn’t spend a lot of time at an elementary school, it may appear to be just a donut. An occasional treat, possibly covered in frosting or sprinkles.

Maybe a cruller to dip in a steaming hot cup of coffee on a wet spring morning.

But to a young child celebrating a birthday?

That cumbersome white box with the window on top is a trophy.

A banner that shouts to the others on the playground, “It’s my birthday! My parents let me bring donuts for the entire class! I’m a hero!”.

They love me.

So the excitement surrounding the acquisition and handing out of the donuts often begins the week before the actual birthday.

By the time the actual day arrives and the birthday child appears at the classroom door with two dozen donuts and a stack of napkins, it’s official.

She’s a rock star.

Several months had passed since her mother died, when her birthday came in January.

A birthday to be celebrated without her mother; with her father still picking up the pieces and trying to move forward when all he really wanted was to have her back.

When her father dropped her off at my house that morning it was still dark outside. The cold January mornings felt too much like night but teased us with the possibility of daybreak at any moment.

We said our quick goodbyes, all three anxious to leave the cold behind. She looked small and tired; she didn’t make eye contact with me when I wished her a Happy Birthday.

I led her to the playroom where she could distract herself while my daughter got ready for school.

And I stood in the kitchen and wept for the missing donuts.

That little girl needed her rock star day. She needed to be able to feel that someone cared enough to remember a little thing that was actually quite big.

I wasn’t about to let her go without them.

This post is for The Red Dress Club weekly writing prompt. This week’s assignment was to write a piece, fiction or non-fiction, inspired by this picture of a donut.

Comments

1. And…I'm choked up. The ending just killed me.

I have to say, though, that the beginning was confusing. I actually don't think you need that beginning about the importance of the donuts to BE the beginning. If you started with "Her mother died…" and then, after "donuts on her birthday" you could bring in some of why that's important, that it means you're a rock star, and then continue on.

Does that make sense?

2. Dang you for making me cry.

Beautiful.

This taps into that very primal fears all mothers have of knowing the holes that would exist if they vanished from their children's lives.

The big things? Someone will see to the big things.

it is the infinite little things that would go wanting.

And all moms will read this and cry.

4. BalancingMama (Julie) says:

What a great use of the prompt. So sweet.

5. Honest Convo Gal says:

Sherri:

This is a lovely post. It does what good writing is supposed to do. It made me care about this little girl. I don't want her to ever go without donuts.

From the writing feedback perspective, I agree with Cheryl. Some of the beginning is unnecessary. It is a "writer's wind-up". I do it all the time. You start writing to get to the good part. When there is time, it is a good practice to re-write your first couple of paragraphs once you can look back and see what the heart of the piece really is…of course, when is there ever time? I was telling someone today that I'm rarely ever truly "showing" and not "telling" until my 4th revision. Um, that means I have to have time to get to that revision…

But we all remember elementary school birthday parties and the heroic status of the birthday boy/girl. So, you don't need that.

That is all brush strokes on the Mona Lisa, however, because this is a lovely piece of work. Your descriptions especially are able to paint a lovely image without being laden down with too many words.

6. Leighann says:

so emotional.
    I'm all weepy.
    Great job on this prompt

Heart wrenching as usual, Sherri. I hope you got TWO for each kid.

8. I'm crying like a baby.

I could use a sweet treat right about now….

9. Oh I am all choked up Sherri. Just as Lori said, this is all of our biggest fear, those little things that would never happen if we were gone. My husbands mom died when he was very young and he missed all of those little things. Ugh, this piece tugged at my heart. So achingly beautiful.

10. I've definitely connected with the characters. 🙂 Now I must know, is this fiction or non-fiction?

11. I'm so glad she got her donuts! I was so afraid she was going to school empty handed on her birthday.

Toward the end you said "And I stood in the kitchen and wept for the missing donuts.". How did you know about the donuts? A family tradition?
    It just caught me off guard.

12. mamatrack.com says:

This broke my heart. I wanted to go out and buy her doughnuts myself.

I think I read it post-edit, right? I like the intro a lot. I was drawn in immediately.

13. Kids bringing treats to class really are heros among men.

As a motherless child whose dad never remembered the donuts, this hit me hard! I'm hoping really hard that this was fiction!
    I pray I'll be here long enough to see my boys grow up!

15. Barbara L says:

You made me cry

16. Very sweet, very touching. I'm sad, of course, like everyone, but so grateful and hopeful for the people who are willing to take over and buy the donuts.

17. Heartbreaking! My biggest fear!

But so glad she would have her rock star moment!!

18. I'll be back when I can pull my thoughts together.
    This story guts me…I wish I thought it was fiction.
    Beautifully written…as always.

19. I'm sitting here in tears.. Lori hit the nail on the head. This is every Mother's worse fear. I know someone will provide food, clothing, shelter for my babies. But who will love them like I do? The everyday little moments are what this mom-gig is made of.

20. Veronica says:

This is incredibly sad and one of my worst nightmares. That poor girl, and I pray that if that ever happened to my children, that my friends would be there to take my place in those moments.

Your writing is beautiful.

21. Mandyland says:

This made me tear up. I've read books, seen movies, heard stories of all the things a dying mother does to tie up loose ends. Forgetting something this big and yet this small, would be one of my fears.

Fantastic job. Now…I need to go blow my nose and dry my eyes.

22. Cheryl D. says:

Thanks, now I have tears running down onto my keyboard!

Really beautiful post!

23. You would forget so much as a mother if you only had a few months to prepare the ending. I really liked this piece and felt so sad for her.

24. Coffee and tears this morning. Just so beautifully written, but I think you owe all of us moms some donuts. Love.

25. I don't want to be sappy, so I'm going to focus on the donuts to school thing. Sounds like Krispy Kremes are your standard; we always brought a box of DD donut holes for bdays. 🙂

26. Becky McWhorter says:

Sherri, great story, it really brought a tear to my eye {actually several}. I must ask, have you actually experience this? You content was so real and to the point. I have experienced it only I am the widow, my son was 5 and his birthday was 4 months later. Me being the Mom, I knew what to do! I often wonder if that is why God left me here? Great job, thank you.

27. Dang, you sure do know how to tug at the heart strings. Beautiful.

Another beautiful story Sherri. I'm so glad you remembered her pink donuts. Beautifully told.

29. And now I'm crying! Your words provoke emotion – that's such an amazing thing!

Wow – who knew that a picture of a donut could bring about a story like that? Beautiful, Sherri, and so heartbreaking. I'm hoping this is fiction, but I have a feeling maybe not.

Cancer's a fucker.

31. Mommy Needs a Vacation says:

Beautifully written. I really hope this is fiction….

oh everything about this post makes it impossible for me to critique from an objective place.

Cancer is an asshole.

Daughters without mothers to remember donuts should never happen.

Husbands trying so hard and falling short of what their baby girl needs by no fault of his own shouldn't exist.

You crying for the donuts makes me weep with you. I wish I could give that little girl all the donuts in the world.

33. Lovely! It tugged at my heart strings and I had to remind myself it was fiction 🙂

34. Ohhhhh, I really loved this one, Sherri! So touching & sweet. It was perfect.

35. CDG @ Move Over Mary Poppins! says:

Cheryl has a laser focus for the real beginning of a piece. I see she's found yours.

This was an amazing read, and anything I could add here has already been said.

So gorgeous and sad and sweet.

36. Sweet and sad and as always beautiful. Your words simply flow. I love this.

37. Out of my research, shopping for gadgets online can for sure be expensive, noetheelnss there are some tips and tricks that you can use to help you get the best things. There are always ways to discover discount discounts that could help make one to hold the best electronic devices products at the smallest prices. Good blog post.

38. Why does this have to be the ONLY reliable source? Oh well, gj!

39. Gee whiz, and I thought this would be hard to find out.

40. What a neat article. I had no inkling.

41. That’s a nicely made answer to a challenging question

42. Well I guess I don’t have to spend the weekend figuring this one out!

43. One or two to remember, that is.

44. Times are changing for the better if I can get this online!

45. Good to find an expert who knows what he’s talking about!

46. An intelligent point of view, well expressed! Thanks!

47. What a joy to find someone else who thinks this way.

48. I’m impressed! You’ve managed the almost impossible.

49. If I were a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, now I’d say “Kowabunga, dude!”

50. You mean I don’t have to pay for expert advice like this anymore?!

51. Son of a gun, this is so helpful!

52. Your posting really straightened me out. Thanks!

53. Thank God! Someone with brains speaks!

54. I was struck by the honesty of your posting

55. The ability to think like that shows you’re an expert

56. It’s a pleasure to find someone who can identify the issues so clearly

57. These topics are so confusing but this helped me get the job done.

58. Great post with lots of important stuff.

59. Thanky Thanky for all this good information!

60. I was struck by the honesty of your posting

61. Gee whiz, and I thought this would be hard to find out.

62. You saved me a lot of hassle just now.

63. Oh yeah, fabulous stuff there you!

64. This could not possibly have been more helpful!

65. That’s a cunning answer to a challenging question

66. That insight’s just what I’ve been looking for. Thanks!

67. Play informative for me, Mr. internet writer.

68. This piece was a lifejacket that saved me from drowning.

69. Great insight. Relieved I’m on the same side as you.

70. A piece of erudition unlike any other!

71. An answer from an expert! Thanks for contributing.

72. Touchdown! That’s a really cool way of putting it!

73. A pleasingly rational answer. Good to hear from you.

74. The genius store called, they’re running out of you.

75. This article is a home run, pure and simple!

76. How neat! Is it really this simple? You make it look easy.

77. That’s a smart answer to a difficult question.

78. Information is power and now I’m a !@#$ing dictator.

79. Well I guess I don’t have to spend the weekend figuring this one out!

80. You’ve really captured all the essentials in this subject area, haven’t you?

81. None can doubt the veracity of this article.

82. Your post has moved the debate forward. Thanks for sharing!

83. Was totally stuck until I read this, now back up and running.

84. Superb information here, ol’e chap; keep burning the midnight oil.

85. Never seen a better post! ICOCBW

86. Such a deep answer! GD&RVVF

87. Gee willikers, that’s such a great post!

88. Thinking like that shows an expert’s touch

89. You’ve really impressed me with that answer!

90. Most help articles on the web are inaccurate or incoherent. Not this!

91. It’s posts like this that make surfing so much pleasure

92. A perfect reply! Thanks for taking the trouble.

93. Felt so hopeless looking for answers to my questions…until now.

94. Learning a ton from these neat articles.

95. Glad I’ve finally found something I agree with!

96. It’s a pleasure to find someone who can identify the issues so clearly

97. Check that off the list of things I was confused about.

98. Just cause it’s simple doesn’t mean it’s not super helpful.

99. Time to face the music armed with this great information.

100. What a neat article. I had no inkling.

101. Action requires knowledge, and now I can act!

102. Hey, that’s a clever way of thinking about it.

103. Which came first, the problem or the solution? Luckily it doesn’t matter.

104. Good to see a talent at work. I can’t match that.

105. Now I’m like, well duh! Truly thankful for your help.

106. It’s really great that people are sharing this information.

107. Stellar work there everyone. I’ll keep on reading.

108. Finally! This is just what I was looking for.

109. Your answer lifts the intelligence of the debate.

110. Knowledge wants to be free, just like these articles!

111. Pleasing you should think of something like that

112. This posting knocked my socks off

113. It’s really great that people are sharing this information.

114. With the bases loaded you struck us out with that answer!

115. Shoot, so that’s that one supposes.

116. If you want to get read, this is how you should write.

117. That saves me. Thanks for being so sensible!

118. With all these silly websites, such a great page keeps my internet hope alive.

119. An intelligent point of view, well expressed! Thanks!

120. We’ve arrived at the end of the line and I have what I need!

121. Keep these articles coming as they’ve opened many new doors for me.

122. I searched a bunch of sites and this was the best.

123. I had no idea how to approach this before-now I’m locked and loaded.

124. I could read a book about this without finding such real-world approaches!

125. Boy that really helps me the heck out.

126. That hits the target perfectly. Thanks!

127. You really saved my skin with this information. Thanks!

128. Never seen a better post! ICOCBW

129. Me dull. You smart. That’s just what I needed.

130. The honesty of your posting is there for all to see

131. Economies are in dire straits, but I can count on this!

132. Thanks for writing such an easy-to-understand article on this topic.

133. That’s a wise answer to a tricky question

134. Just what the doctor ordered, thankity you!

135. That’s more than sensible! That’s a great post!

136. This forum needed shaking up and you’ve just done that. Great post!

137. I’m so glad that the internet allows free info like this!

138. Free knowledge like this doesn’t just help, it promote democracy. Thank you.

139. Learning a ton from these neat articles.

140. I cannot tell a lie, that really helped.

141. Everyone would benefit from reading this post

142. I was struck by the honesty of your posting

143. This introduces a pleasingly rational point of view.

144. This is just the perfect answer for all of us

145. Thanky Thanky for all this good information!

146. One or two to remember, that is.

147. mercy and grace. “Christians have no place to be involved in it” is not how I believe Jesus would have gone about His busines in today’s world. His way was to be involved – ultimately, His way would counter what the culture had to offer. An excellent example to follow, especially for those who calls themselves followers of Christ.

148. Felicidades por la encuesta:1º/Poder de convocatoria del bloguero2º/IU sigue siendo una fuerza política necesaria y determinante en la vida pública3º/Al igual que Carmen no me gusta lo de UPyD4º/la ciudadanía necesita mensajes claros y compromiso,mucho compromiso moral y político¡ENHORABUENA!

149. car loans. But if you are looking online, then in all likelihood, you would arrive throughout numerous lenders who are willing to provide you unsecured vehicle loans at attractive rates. With a small bit of study, you will surely discover the ideal car loan that would help you in possessing the vehicle you usually dreamt of

150. Oh geez, that was insane. Thanks so much for releasing all this in one go!While Tanishi didn’t win the fight (not even close), these were at least a series of small victories for him – from punching out that guy in the toilet to refusing Chiharu’s offer. After all this, I think the guy finally has some self-respect (at least I hope he does!)And to think, there’s another five volumes of this to go!

151. C’est un des chapitres des Protocoles …Ignorer son passé c’est compromettre son avenir. C’est exactement ce qui est en train de se mettre en place.A bon entendeur

152. Na, Å¡iaip jau XI amžius irgi yra viduramžiai. AÅ¡ nesiginčiju dÄ—l gyventojų tautybÄ—s – aÅ¡ sakau, kad valstybÄ—s formavimo principas buvo kitas, t.y siuzereno-vasalo santykiai.

153. you’re in reality a just right webmaster. The website loading pace is incredible. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve performed a excellent activity in this topic!

154. Bedankt voor uw toelichting en de link naar het artikel van Fran van Dun. Ik denk dat we het verregaand eens zijn.Ik heb het overigens niet zo op Rousseau, als vader van het ‘sociaal contract’ waarmee wij gechanteerd worden. En dat we niet in een democratie, maar in een oligarchie leven behoeft denk ik geen toelichting, ondanks de fopspeen van ‘verkiezingen’.Maar nu is er de LP…

155. Sep01 Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and visual appeal. I must say you’ve done a amazing job with this. Additionally, the blog loads very fast for me on Firefox. Outstanding Blog!

156. Wow gorgeous cards Mandy, love the first one with all the rolled flowers and the second one is just gorgeous, love the colours. Thanks for sharing with us at LCI this fortnight, good luck! Pami x

157. Liao | (04:08) dit :Peu importe ton rhymte d’e9criture, rien ne t’oblige e0 fermer ton blogue. C’est d’ailleurs une question de respect pour tes anciens textes qui peuvent toujours s’ave9rer des nouveaux pour tes lecteurs.[]

158. merci joël pour ce commentaire très intéressant.on continue à parler des sondages dans les médias avec ce qui se passe au Maroc avec la saisie du journal Tel Quel. Pas évident vu de chez nous de comprendre pourquoi…

159. EmmanuAiles dit :Rha la la , c’est vrai que c’est chouette le mois du blanc, de voir ces catalogues avec de superbes chambres, toutes blanches , idéalement rangées , décorées , j’en rêve .Du blanc, du crème , un soupçon de parme , de la D.O.U.C.E.U.R Allez si je gagne je me lance bises

160. Hey, you used to write magnificent, but the last few posts have been kinda boring… I miss your super writings. Past several posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

161. Actually that pic of Bushie looks eerily like that actor formerly known as Will Ferrel. Speaking of Will..a choice Ricky Bobby quote:I like to think of Jesus as a mischievous badger.

162. Toż tej gównażerii powinii noi przy d.. poobcinać,sam za szczyla szalałem w Dziwnowie i nie ze wszystkiego jestem dumny co robiłem ale bez przesady. Dorwać wpieprzyć i rodziców pociągnąć do odpowiedzialności finansowej jeśli to nieletni zrobili,a jak nie to niech sami odpracują

163. A) … hélas il est difficile de trouver le module de young de la pate à pizza et du fromage fondu !B) 575cm (mais si on considère que la vitesse max du F-4 Phantom est de 2415km/h et non pas 800km/h, il serait plus prudent de prévoir une épaisseur de 52.43m ;-)C)jaque ségéla !B-subsidiaire)l'Apoptose

164. The correct answer is D. Choice D represents the residual volume, which is the volume that remains in the lungs after a maximal expiration. The residual volume increases dramatically in emphysema, especially in the condition of air trapping, in which it is difficult to exhale completely.

165. MihaMaraM-a atras ceva pe blogul vostru de azi si … surpriza!! E sarbatoare mare! Va dorim sa fiti fericite , Natalia si Sofia. Alaturi de parinti minunati sa aveti parte de o copilarie frumoasa, ca-n povesti. Inceputul il cunoastem deja, viitorul abia asteptam sa-l desoperim alaturi de voi. De 2 ori La Mult Ani! Multi pupici. Miha si fam

166. Pretty element of content. I simply stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to say that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your augment and even I fulfillment you get right of entry to constantly quickly.

167. Nix da, Selent. Da warst du zwar auch, aber das hier ist am Stakendorfer Strand. Und: Danke, dass die anderen Fotos hier nicht zu sehen sind ;))

168. Sunt absolut de acord cu LiaLia si cei care au urmat dupa ea. De ce a disparut Calin Gheorghe de pe segmentul lui orar?Ati innebunit? De ce sa stricati ceva ce era atat de bun?Feedback, people! Ascultati de feedback iar asta e feedback-ul nostru, al ascultatorilor credinciosi de guerrilla.

169. I have to move the capacity to on to thank a person relating to your doctor pointers We have now time and again experienced looking into the site. We’re eager for the seller’s beginning of most individual or even scientific tests and therefore the comprehensive research could not previously maximum without need of traveling to the site your site. Should i is probably of your aid to other marketers, I’ll be happy to help in what You will find become familiar with from this level.

170. , the generalization that men have stronger sex-drives than women is like the generalization that men are taller than women; it’s true insofar as it describes a distribution, but it doesn’t guarantee the characteristics of any particular person relative to any other person.In short, masturbation is like a clutch; specifically, it guarantees that two forces moving at different speeds connect smoothly. Tell your colleagues that you can risk the sexual compatibility thing, as long as your willing to pick up the difference masturbating on the back end.

171. Oh dear, you are definitely no dummy! You did an incredible job with supporting your kids in a tough situation. I really admire you for it. I had my husband’s support the last few years, when I decided to stay at home with kids. I did think that my outlook on things might be different if I had to put food on the table for them. It also makes me enthusiastic for going out and doing more marketing, as well as trying new things

172. I dag har jeg været ude og lufte min gamle knallert i det lækre forårsvejr og så har jeg pjækket fra fodbold. Nå ja, jeg har grøn neglelak på fødderne og grå på hænderne

173. When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment.Is there any way you can remove me from that service?Many thanks!

174. Notice how some PS3 shots look crisp & fine, while some others are a blurry mess? Its obvious some shots were taken at the wrong time, providing misleading images. Yeah, I admit the Xbox is the dominant multi-plat system, but shots like this don’t do either console justice. Rent, and try before you buy.VN:R_U [1.9.17_1161](from 26 votes)

175. I precisely wanted to appreciate you yet again. I’m not certain the things I might have made to happen in the absence of the actual tricks revealed by you directly on such a topic. It seemed to be a very alarming condition in my position, but coming across the very skilled mode you managed it forced me to leap over fulfillment. I am grateful for the information and then pray you really know what a powerful job your are providing teaching men and women all through your web page. I’m certain you have never come across any of us.

176. That kukur ko pucchar analogy goes for almost all the major players in Nepal.By the way the dogs were let out by the incompetence, corruption and apathy of the politicians and the quite connivance of the palace.

177. Das ist ziemlich cool irgendwie. Mag ich.Gut das ich noch 160NC hier habe, das muss ich doch gleich mal testen 🙂

178. cette intervention est complètement nécessaire, même si très politisée par Sarkozy (mais gauche ou droite, ils en auraient tous fait autant). En tant que pays des Droits de l’Homme, je ne vois pas comment nous laisserions un peuple désireux de liberté se faire massacrer par un dictateur qui joue avec son peuple comme on joue avec des petits soldats.

179. Minustakin tuo Taivassalo oli aivan uskomattoman kaunis ja hehkeä ihanassa vinatgemekossa. Ehdottomasti kaunein linnan kaunottarista minusta.Mä voisin olla mukana vuoden kestävässä projektissa että ei ostaisi mitään uutena.. paitsi alusvaatteet, ja sukat ja sukkahousut..Mitäs kenkien laita..? Ne ovat heikkoukseni ja en todellakaan tiedä osaisinko olla ostamatta vuoteet yksiäkään kenkiä.. Puoli vuosi voisi hyvin onnistua..

180. Linda participação da Socorro e todos nós parece que temos mais dificuldades nas perdas de pessoas jovens…É mais difícil de entender…Beijos às duas,tudo de bom,chica

181. Bien intéressant. C’est toujours utile d’avoir une trame sous le coude !Trop de gens s’y prennent à l’envers, pensez aux technologies avant l’offre et les insights. Même de vrais pros, sous pretexte qu’ils sont vieux, ils croient pouvoir faire n’importe quoi. D’où la prolifération de comptes twitter sans contenu derrière…

182. Татьяна пишет:Разместила в своих статусах и отослала для всех друзей!vk.comмой миродноклассники  ÃÂ¢ÃÂ°Ã‘‚ьяна

183. Ivanhoe,recuerdo ése libro en la colección de libros de mi padre.No,nunca lo leí.Saludos Ivanius,por más que quieras no,no creo que seas Alma negra.

184. fantastic issues altogether, you simply gained a new reader. What might you recommend in regards to your publish that you made some days in the past? Any sure?

185. Bob Brown.But he’s such a dangerous commo that News Limited have publicly declared they’ll do what they can to negate the Greens.After the way the media and his own party destroyed Rudd I can’t see any progressive short of Jesus Himself that would put themself up for that sort of treatment.

186. Corrupt Governance/Rulers are the Root Cause. Address them and take? corrective measures to solve it rather than blaming on the system. Corruption is due to lack of Morals and belief in the theory of Darwinism. The Illusion that Humans are a creation from Nothing. No Accountability, Might is Right is the destructive philosophy that Breeds Dictators and Despots. These evil Rulers are Hell bent to destroy Life on Planet Earth, through control of Debt and Propaganda. Sion-ism is Root of all Evils.

187. Re: sheeshYou got such a cool person! not that Emma Thompson isn’t cool, she is, but some truly cool (or in lizzy’s jiang zemin case, cold war-ish) people have popped up.Are you verklempt?

188. It’s pretty amazing, isn’t it Laurie? Glad you were able to get a great discount, and could do a little splurge to get some great memories! Thanks for stopping by!

189. disse:Em breve muitas e muitas matérias sobre o evento. Já temos cinco posts “no forno” com muitas informações interessantes e fotos legais (só fotos sem texto ou só texto sem fotos não dá).

190. Agreed. I’d go with “That dress doesnt show off your best features” and “I liked the previous haircut a lot better. Maybe i need to get used to this”Tactful and honest

191. I just hope these pics have been taken Before the finishing was completed. The beadboard wainscoting was evidently stapled into the wall and also the holes aren’t filled in the pictures.