Today is my 24th wedding anniversary.
There must be some mistake, since I used to think only old people could have been married this long.
We have now been married longer than we were single. It blows my mind.
People often ask hubs and I, “What’s your secret?” which then leads to an awkward silence, since we aren’t really sure we have one.
The more I thought about it, I realized that the real marriage secrets to success are pretty simple. Sure, the marriage counselors and divorce lawyers would love for us to think otherwise. But I think I found the secrets just by studying the pictures in my wedding album.
Once I dusted it off.
Simple Secrets to Marriage Success
1. Always smile and listen when your spouse is telling you something that in no way pertains to the event or situation you are currently in. Like the wife who explains kitchen paint colors in great detail during a sudden-death overtime NHL game. This obviously pertains to the picture above, where hubs is clearly explaining to me how great the donuts were at the coffee shop that morning and that he changed the oil in his car last night.
2. Surround yourselves with friends who like to have fun. Being around other goofy people has always brought out the best in our marriage.
3. It’s not always all about you. Sometimes you need to take a back seat and let someone else take the wheel for a while.
4. When you’re feeling rather cranky and a fight may be brewing? Get some food. Sometimes the only thing between you and an epic battle with the spouse is a big plate of mashed potatoes.
5. Be careful what you throw. That pelting with 15 bags of rice may have stung a bit, but the wrong words thrown at a loved one can leave scars for a very long time.
6. When words fail you, there’s nothing better than a good old-fashioned kiss.
So to my wonderfully patient, funny, supportive, loving, and handsome husband…a very Happy 24th Anniversary!
I can’t wait for the next 24.